Meet Shelle & Snogs!
Hi, I’m Shelle & this is my training sidekick Precious Snoggle-Pop, Snogs for short, and we are so glad you found us! On this page, you’ll find more information about me, my training philosophy, and some of my qualifications.
So, who am I and why should you trust me with the important task of helping you raise your furry baby?
Well, firstly, I’m not going to write a huge essay about myself, who really has time to read that?! If after reading this you still have questions about who I am then please do not hesitate to contact me by clicking here
My story in point form:
- I have had dogs my entire life, from the day I was born till this very day I have lived my life with dogs. Actually, for many years they were, and still are, my best friends and furry children!
- I currently have 5 dogs, mostly rescues, and was involved in rescue for many years.
- I have been involved one way or another in the training of dogs since I could speak! Growing up in South Africa with big powerful guard dogs, you have to learn how to “speak dog” very quickly and effectively!
- I started my professional career as a dog trainer the “old fashioned” way, as an assistant/apprentice to an amazing dog trainer when I was in my 20’s.
- Oh and if you are wondering, as I’m writing this (2021) I am 36 years old… scary!
- Fast forward a few years and not only had I accumulated a substantial number of hands on practical hours, I had also completed numerous theory based training certificates.
- 2016 saw me working with various rescue groups. Training rescue dogs is a rewarding experience, but also a very challenging one!
- Being so involved with rescue started to have a negative effect on my physical and mental health, therefore, I had to make the decision to stop that work and only do spasmodic private training from that point out.
- Over the next few years I decided to focus more on human training and become a certified business, life, and health coach. I also pursued my interests in natural holistic health doing a diploma of health science and becoming a herbalist.
- 2020/21 has been a crazy year for us all and it led to me having to make the decision to close my coaching business, but to honest, it was a blessing in disguise as it made me stop and think what I truly wanted to do with my life!
- So, I enrolled in and am currently studying a Bachelor of Science Majoring in Animal & Veterinary Science through the University of New England.
- Tragedy usually leads to some kind of epiphany and that was the case for me when I lost my dearest, sweetest Shar Pei Princess Dribble Drops on the 15th of January this year. It made me take stock of my life and goals, and also led to me adopting my Precious Snoggle-Pop on Valentines Day!
- Precious Snoggle-Pop, Snogs for short, is a Shar Pei x Staffy and was 12 weeks old when we picked her up… oh man I had forgotten what it was it was like having a puppy! It had been almost 7 years since my last pup!
- It was during those first few days after I brought Snogs home that I had a moment of complete clarity about my purpose and future!
- If I was being kept on my toes by a pup, what was it like for owners who weren’t dog trainers?! It was at that moment that I decided it was time to go full-time again in dog training!
- A lot has changed over the years, and I wanted to make sure I was still using only the best methods to train, so I put my head down and bum up getting stuck into hours and hours of courses to brush up on my skills and expand my knowledge!
- In particular I found inspiration in my original role model, Dr Dunbar and have joined his Top Dog Academy to ensure my knowledge is always up to date and based on real science and experience!
Well, that’s it for me! If you have any questions please do get in touch as I am more than happy to chat!
Training Philosophy & Methods
I practice and follow the teachings of Dr Ian Dunbar and his world-renowned dog training methods, in particular his revolutionary SIRIUS Puppy Training methods.
Dr. Dunbar’s SIRIUS program emphasises the importance of not wasting puppyhood and that we must be teaching all puppies the fundamentals such as bite inhibition, early socialisation, temperament training, and other vital household manners so that our puppies grow up to be well-adjusted adults.
SIRIUS was the first of its kind training and championed user-friendly and dog-friendly dog training. It ushered in training that was enjoyable for dogs as well as the owners.
Following in Dr Dunbar’s footsteps, I too believe in the use of the scientific laws of operant and classical conditioning to pair positive associations and consequences with desired behaviours, resulting in your dog enjoying and even offering the behaviours you like! Rewards like treats, praise, toys, attention, and access to desired resources keep training fun and stress-free for both of you.
As no two humans are alike, no two dogs and no two owners are alike either, that is why I always look for ways to adjust my training to best suit you and your dog’s needs!”
Pet Professional Network
I am a kind, ethical, and trusted Pet Professional, committed to providing pet owners with the very best support. We know that being a dog owner is not always easy but, despite the challenges, we promise not to judge you.
As a member of the Pet Professional Network, I’ve been personally assessed to ensure that I give the best ongoing support and am here to understand and work through your struggles.
As a Member of the Pet Professional Network, my services come highly recommended and I undergo continuous learning to ensure that I can give you the very best service.
Association of Pet Dog Trainers Australia Code of Ethics
In becoming a member of the APDT, a member must agree to the APDT Code of Ethics and may be expelled from the Association if they do not act in accordance with them.
APDT Code of Ethics
As a member of APDT Australia Inc. I shall:
- Perform services to the best of their ability within the guidelines of this Code of Ethics.
- Employ only humane, dog-friendly techniques in the training of dogs.
- Actively reject the use of harsh, physical, psychological, coercive and aversive methods in the training of dogs (including the use of electric shock collars and/or pinch/prong collars).
- Make the welfare of the dog of primary importance.
- Be honest and trustworthy.
- Treat all dogs with respect.
- Do no harm.
- Promote responsible dog ownership.
- Actively pursue ongoing education in order to provide a service based upon sound scientific principles and current best practice.
- Promote a positive human/canine relationship between owner and dog.
- Work at developing and applying positive methods of dog training.
- Provide a service of the highest standard within the limit of my skill, knowledge and ability.
- Respect the confidentiality and privacy of clients.
- Not advertise myself as a member of APDT Australia Inc. without prior approval of the Association.
- Not represent myself as a spokesperson for APDT Australia Inc. without prior approval of the Association.
Below you will find a few of my certificates, I do have more however I have listed the ones I feel are most relevant. I will most likely at some stage dedicate a separate page to them, until then, if you would like to know what other certificates I have please do not hesitate to ask!
Dog Emotion and Cognition
5-Week Online Course - CEU
- Introduction to cognitive psychology and evolutionary theory
- Experimental methodology
- How Biology Studies Cognitive Evolution
- Theory of mind, which, when viewed through the ecological approach suggests that social problem-solving drove primate and human cognitive evolution
- Theory of Evolutionary Accidents and Survival of the Friendliest
- Inferential reasoning using the “principle of exclusion”
The SIRIUS Dog Trainer Academy
- The SIRIUS Academy is a structured and comprehensive course on how to run a successful dog training business.
- Manage and promote a dog training business.
- Using games and quantification to train and motivate people to train their dogs.
- How to solve a wide variety of dog behavior problems, using the Behavior Problem Solving Matrix
- Conducting dog training classes for puppies and adult dogs.
- Assessing the severity of dog biting and fighting, and how to safely devise treatment and management plan.
- Approved for 21 CEU
Dog - Dog Reactivity
- Video lecture workshop presented by Dr. Dunbar about recognising the signs of dog to dog reactivity and proven training methods to help work through and overcome the reactivity
- Comprehensive 10-week instructor course focusing on all aspects of puppy training and behavioral problem solving
Animal Behaviour and Welfare
- Introduction, History and Concepts of Animal Welfare
- Animal Behaviour and Animal Welfare Assessment
- Practical Animal Welfare: Companion Animal Welfare
- Practical Animal Welfare: Farm Animal Welfare
- Practical Animal Welfare: Captive Wild Animal Welfare
- Emotive Animal Welfare Issues
Science-Based Dog Training – with Feeling! (3 Days)
- We Continue to Waste Puppyhood How to prevent the many behaviours, training and temperament problems that are caused primarily inpuppyhood yet are seldom manifested until adolescence and adulthood — house-soiling, destructive chewing, excessive barking, separation anxiety, fearfulness, dog-human and dog-dog aggression, hyperactivity, lack of attention and compliance.
- Transcending Reinforcement Schedules, Going Way Beyond “Dominance” and Punishment and Rekindling the Relationship
- How to use our voice to transcend laboratory-generated learning theory and revitalize the spirit and soul of dog training in this sterile quantum world of clicks and kibble and jerks and shocks
- Off-leash Verbal Control with Distance and Distractions; Phasing out Food Lures and Rewards and Naturally Motivating your Dog to Perform Quickly, Reliably and Willingly
- The quickest and easiest way to teach reliable, off-leash verbal control at a distance, with distractions and without the continued use of training aids
- This online course has been approved for 18 CEUs
Canine Social & Sexual Behavior
- 6+ hours of video lecture from The Dunbar Academy’s Canine Sexual Behavior & Reproduction course (currently studying).
Pet End of Life
- Educating pet parents and pet professionals about the humane end-of-life choices for small companion animals
- Pet Palliative Care & Euthanasia
- Your Pet Just Died - What Do You Do?
- Burial vs. Cremation
- Memorializing Your Pet
- Pet Grief
- Pet Death for the Pet Professional
Tween Puppy Class
- Teaching older puppies and solving common “tween” issues including:
- Jumping up, shyness, general manners, resource guarding, barking, and other common behavioral issues
- Walking skills using BAT and focus training.
Pet Dog Ambassador Program
- The PDA program is a newly launched international licensing initiative focused on improving and strengthening dogs’ and their guardians’ skills, both in a class situation and in the real world.
Dog Gone Safe Member
- To promote education initiatives for the purpose of dog bite prevention and increased child safety around dogs.
Be A Tree Program
- The Be a Tree program is a dog bite prevention seminar program for school-age children. This program focuses on fun and interactive activities to teach children how to read dog body language and how to act safely around both their own dog and strange dogs.
Dog Walker Certification
Providing Dog Walking Services
- Providing Professional Dog Walking Services
- Planning Routes and Schedules
- Handling, Transporting and Supervising Dogs at Play
- Assessing Dogs and Their Owners
- Managing a Dog Walking Businesses
- Health, Safety, and Security
Dog Walker Association
- A membership association created to provide education and business development services for people working as a professional dog walker.
The Pet Professional Network is the first international business support and educational platform for kind, ethical, and trusted pet professionals. They help support their members with all aspects of mindset, personal, and business development.
PPN is proud to work in collaboration with modern, world-class training and behavioural institutes and associations.
Having undergone a personal assessment process, ensuring I meet their high standards, ethics, and force and fear free philosophy, I have been invited to join their supportive community and will continue to receive ongoing group coaching. This will ensure I can give my clients the best ongoing support and help encourage other professionals to reach out and help support each other.
PPN helps raise the standards to help support more pet owners and is a wonderful community full of like-minded people.
Check Back Soon
More certifcates to be uploaded soon.
Services We Offer
We are here to help!
We offer a range of products, programs, and services to help you and your pooch be Pals 4 Life!
Who is Dr. Ian Dunbar?
“Dr. Ian Dunbar is a veterinarian, animal behaviorist, and writer. He received his veterinary degree and a Special Honors degree in Physiology & Biochemistry from the Royal Veterinary College (London University) and a doctorate in animal behavior from the Psychology Department at the University of California in Berkeley, where he spent ten years researching olfactory communication, the development of hierarchical social behavior, and aggression in domestic dogs.
Dr. Dunbar is a member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, the International Society for Applied Ethology, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior, the California Veterinary Medical Association, the Sierra Veterinary Medical Association, and the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (which he founded).
Dr. Dunbar joined the Society for Veterinary Ethology (now the International Society for Applied Ethology) over 35 years ago, at which time he was the only member specializing in dog and cat behavior problems. Later he was involved in the establishment of the American SVE (now the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior).
He has written numerous books, including How To Teach A New Dog Old Tricks, the Good Little Dog Book, and a series of Behavior Booklets—separate educational booklets on each of the most common pet behavior problems. Additionally, he has hosted eleven videotapes on puppy/dog behavior and training, including SIRIUS® Puppy Training, Training Dogs With Dunbar and Every Picture Tells A Story. All of his videos have won a variety of awards. The famous SIRIUS Puppy Training video (the first dog training video ever produced) remains the all-time best-selling dog video. For three years running the SIRIUS® video has always been voted the #1 BEST DOG TRAINING VIDEO by the Association of Pet Dog trainers-the largest and most influential association of dog trainers in the world.”
From Dog Star Daily